How to stay motivated to lose weight starts with a story. (No Goldilocks I promise, except for that adorable little girl below.)
Over ten years ago I was on a mission to lose weight and improve my health. My coach created a strategy I’d never come across. It was scary. I mean really scary. It put me WAY out of my comfort zone. But I did it.
Curious what this strategy is?
Today I’m going to show you step by step how to stay motivated to lose weight using the same approach he used with me. As you’ll find out – sometimes risk is worth it.
Step 1- How To Stay Motivated to Lose Weight
The first step you need to take is going to sound a bit odd at first. But bear with me.
Look at your checking and savings account. Now pretend you are going to have a life or death event in your life, and it’s paramount that you come up with a sum of money that dips into what you have left at the end of the month – and even takes away a bit more than that.
For some people this may be $25, $50, $100 or $1000 plus. Write that number down.
Step 2 – Share a 30 Day Challenge With a Close Friend, Workout Partner or Spouse
Accountability is a dead-solid strategy how to stay motivated to lose weight. It’s the end all – be all.
Decide on whatever measurement you and your partner will achieve by the end of 30 days. Make it attainable but tough. Even better, don’t make it weight-based.
As an example, find out how many burpees you can do in a set amount of time, let’s say 7 minutes. Your goal then would be to increase that number in the next 30 days. First off, commit to eating clean for 30 days. Commit to getting to sleep one hour earlier than normal. Or do all three. The compound effects of exercise, nutrition and sleep will have an impact on your health and weight.
Put your plan together with a workout partner, decide what you’ll do together and then give each other a solid high-five (not like the one below). Partners are much more fun, keep you motivated and it’s always awesome losing weight together.
Step 3 – Accountability Meets Reality
If you’re ready at this point how you can stay motivated to lose weight, you’ve laid the groundwork. Now it’s time to act.
Remember that amount you landed on in Step 1? It’s time to put it on the table. Here’s how you do it:
- Write a check for the amount you came up with in Step 1 and issue it to a charity of your choice.
- For harsher impact, write it to a charity or cause you can’t stand!
- Physically write it out, date it one month in advance and hand it to a close friend.
- Give that friend permission that if you don’t hit your goal, they will mail it away.
- Benjamin Franklin always gives me 100 ways how to stay motivated to lose weight anytime I use him in a challenge. He’ll do the same for you, trust me!
Step 4 – Put Your Plan into Action: How You Really Can Stay Motivated to Lose Weight
Let’s use the above example of burpees. Burpees are tough. They are a full body exercise that requires no equipment. On Day 1, find out how many you can do in 5-10 minutes. Here’s what that might look like:
- Day 1 – You do as many burpees as you can in 7 minutes (or whatever exercise or time limit you create). Having never done this particular workout, let’s say you start off strong but the reps add up on the body, and you finish with 50.
- Next, determine a target – at least 10% increase. In this case, that’s 55 reps.
- If that target is too steep or too small, adjust as needed. The goal is to how to stay motivated to lose weight with a number you can WORK towards. As weeks two and three come up, you can adjust as needed, going higher or lower.
- Strategize with your workout partner how you both can make this work. Increase your speed, target so many reps per minute, etc.
- Eat clean. Eat what you know your body needs to regain its vitality. You have two goals now to determine how you will stay motivated to lose weight: that check you wrote as well as the reps you’ve targeted.
- At the end of each week, re-test your efforts and compare them against your Day 1 results and your target.
- The closer the time frame approaches, the more focused you will become, provided the dollar amount on your check was enough to get your attention.
A 30-day challenge is a perfect way to sprint your progress ahead. While it may not be the ultimate destination for you, that’s OK – it will take you further than you were 30 days earlier. Let’s review:
Step 1 – Arrive at a dollar figure that you are going to bet on yourself to win your challenge. The number you arrive at is the ultimate solution for how to stay motivated to lose weight, wouldn’t you agree?
Step 2 – Share that challenge with a friend to up the odds of winning.
Step 3 – Write that check in the amount from Step 1 and have it arranged to be sent to a charity.
Step 4 – Put that plan in motion!
This is a great solution how you can stay motivated, lose weight, regain your health and have fun. But if you’re looking for additional resources that go deeper into weight loss assistance how to, use our FREE course as a booster to get you started. No cost, no obligation. See below.